Brazilian tour operators made US$4bn in 2014

Brazilian tour operators made US$4bn in 2014

Braztoa reveals the industry's 2014 performance at WTM Latin America

Braztoa reveals the industry's 2014 performance at WTM Latin America

Braztoa reveals the industry's 2014  at WTM Latin America
Braztoa reveals the industry’s 2014 at WTM Latin America

Brazilian tour operators increased their turnover by 6.7% in 2014, earning BRL11.87bn (US$3.98bn), it was announced at WTM Latin America this week.

Braztoa, the Brazilian Tour Operators’ Association, which accounts for agents responsible for about 90% of all tour packages sold in the country, released its 2015 Yearbook at a press conference in Sao Paulo. The number of travellers increased by 1.9% year-on-year, resulting in 6.01 million passengers – enough to fill all 12 stadiums used in the FIFA World Cup, 10 times over.

Brazilians are now also important players in international spending, with US$26bn spent abroad in 2014. This puts them at number 10 in the world, having risen from number 22 in 2013, and representing a 100% growth in five years.

The domestic market represents 68.4% of demand for Braztoa-associated operators, with a average value per passenger of BRL1,460 (US$490). International market grossed the remaining 31.6%, worth BRL5.435m (US$1.82m).

By region, the northeast received over 54% of domestic travels, followed by the southern region with 14%.

In terms of sales channels, travel agents lead the way with 53% of trips, followed by owned stores and franchises with 41% and then online sales making up 6%.

For travelling duration trends, trips lasting five to nine days were the most popular (52%), ahead of trips lasting over 10 days (31%).

Mark Elliott
Written by:
Mark Elliott
Posted On:
Posted In:
Tour Operators